Date:      Wed, 22 Jul 1998 10:24:19 +0100
From:      nik@iii.co.uk
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        John Birrell <jb@cimlogic.com.au>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Does building current on 2.2.x still work?

On Tue, Jul 21, 1998 at 12:31:54PM -0700, Doug White wrote:
> On Tue, 21 Jul 1998, John Birrell wrote:
> > Ahem, for the umpteenth time:
> >
> > cd /usr/src
> > make -m /usr/src/share/mk world
>
> I would have, since that was the first thing I looked at when the compile
> barfed.
>
> Or the make-world tutorial.

Every time I see this suggestion posted, someone else jumps in with "But
it didn't work properly for me.", which is why I haven't put it in the
tutorial yet.

John, if you're happy, with the following, I'll add it as 5.3 to the
tutorial (bumping everything else on one). Can anyone else supply an
accurate value for 'x'?

  5.3  Moving from 2.2.6 to -current later than 'x'

       Some things changed with the -current build process on 'x', in
       order to support the eventual transition from the a.out object
       format to elf.

       These changes mean that the build process needs to use the new
       .mk files stored in /usr/src/share/mk, rather than the ones that
       will currently be installed in /usr/share/mk.

       In order to force the build process to use these files, add the
       parameter '-m /usr/src/share/mk' to your make command line, like
       so

	   # make -m /usr/src/share/mk buildworld

       and

	   # make -m /usr/src/share/mk installworld

       Typical symptoms of a build that has failed because of this are
       seeing the following errors;

Work: nik@iii.co.uk                       | FreeBSD + Perl + Apache
Rest: nik@nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk    | Remind me again why we need
Play: nik@freebsd.org                     | Microsoft?