Date:      Fri, 13 Mar 1998 21:20:53 +0100 (MET)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        tinguely@plains.NoDak.edu (Mark Tinguely)
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SB AWE64 GOLD

> I have been trying to get a SoundBlaster AWE 64 to be configured under
> FreeBSD 2.2.5-RELEASE. I first tried the VOXWARE + AWEDRV from
> http://multiverse.com/~rhh/awedrv and I can find the AWE, but the
> SoundBlaster 16 part of the card is not found (see below).

> I also tried the Luigi drivers and it gives me a (PNP) error:
>
> 	Probing for PnP devices:
> 	CSN 1 Vendor ID: CTL009e [0x9e008c0e] Serial 0x05cd5ff3
> 	This is a SB16 PnP, but LDN 0 is disabled

so this is very clear: your bios is leaving the card disabled. boot
with -c and do

	pnp 1 0 os enable irq0 5 drq0 1 drq1 5 port0 0x220 ...

as written in the README (or CARDS ?) file of my driver.
that should make the card visible to both drivers.

> /sys/i386/conf/config_file
> controller      pnp0
> device pcm0 at isa ? port? tty irq 5 drq 1 flags 0x15 vector pcmintr
>
> The PNP entry in the BIOS for this card is Auto. Windows95 does use the

the meaning of "Auto" is very ambiguous.

> above IRQs, DRQs, and ports.
>
> I hate SoundBlasters ...

in this case it's not soundblaster's fault.

	cheers
	luigi