Date:      Fri, 15 Oct 2004 10:58:03 -0700
From:      David Kurtz <davidkurtz@mac.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   How to recover from setting boot_single=""?

Short story: I placed a single line,

boot_single=3D""

into the previously empty file /boot/loader.conf and now my machine boots w=
ith an extremely limited read-only volume.

How do I get my old boot behavior back?

Long story: I was muddling through updating the kernel and world for the fi=
rst time, going from FreeBSD 5.1 =3D> 5.2. Following instructions in /usr/s=
rc/UPDATING I made backups, made buildworld, etc. until it got to the point=
 where it says reboot in single user.

Never having done that, I tried first by "reboot"ing, but for some reason m=
y USB keyboard doesn't get power until further on in the boot cycle, so I c=
ouldn't just "press 4." I looked through the docs and found instruction say=
ing that I should set boot_single. I'm guessing I should have set it to som=
ething other than "", which is just copied from /boot/defaults/loader.conf.

So, a couple more questions: what is this limited read-only mode exactly? W=
here are my files (e.g. /usr is empty)? What should I have done? Is it poss=
ible to back out?

It's a personal sandbox, and everything I need is already safely backed up;=
 if I need to just blast the whole system with a CD install, I can do that.=
 But I am curious to know if it's possible to u-turn in this cul-de-sac. Ap=
parently, I know just enough to get myself into trouble, but not enough to =
get out.