Date:      Thu, 15 Apr 1999 12:20:53 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Archie Cobbs <archie@whistle.com>
To:        listmail@helena.callcenter.systemhaus.net (Christoph Weber-Fahr)
Cc:        Freebsd-isdn@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD and ISDN

Christoph Weber-Fahr writes:
> > I already have been given
> > an Adtran TA.  I have never used ISDN for internet before.  I plan on
> > using USWest's BRI plan that is geared to support the 2 B
> > channels, but more than 2 should work according to their tech
> > support.
>
> This is most definitely wrong. They would have to redefine the BRI
> interface to make this happen. BRI (=Basic Rate Interface) consists of
> two B and one D channel.

Yes it can work, because the ISP probably has a PRI interface which
has 23 B channels. You would of course need two BRI's however
(= 4 B-channels).

The problem is that you can't get two normal TA's to be part of the same
multi-link bundle... instead they will each try to establish their
own bundle independent of the other. The ISP server would see the
TA's as unrelated.

Some TA's actually have two RS-232 ports which can correspond
directly to the two B-channels. If you had two of these, and four
COM ports on your PC, then you could run multi-link PPP over the
four B-channels, assuming the ISP equipment can handle it and you
can figure out how to dial the thing.

But with normal TA's this won't work.

-Archie