Date:      Thu, 09 Mar 2006 15:15:22 -0600
From:      Eric Anderson <anderson@centtech.com>
To:        Nate Lawson <nate@root.org>
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: scsi-target and the buffer cache

Nate Lawson wrote:

> Eric Anderson wrote:
>> Nate Lawson wrote:

>>> No, it's not just a skeletal example.  You can point it at a raw
>>> device as the backing store file and it will work as a block device
>>> (i.e. RBC command set).  It has been tested as working at least
>>> moderately fast over SCSI, FC, and firewire.
>>>

>> I'm finally getting around to playing with this, and I'm having some
>> problems.  First, I can't seem to make one isp card in target mode
>> and the other an initiator.  I've messed with adding the following to
>> loader.conf:
>>
>> hint.isp.0.role="initiator"
>> hint.isp.1.role="target"
>>
>> that still doesn't show my currently connected fiber channel devices
>> on the initiator side.
>>
>> I've tried a few different kernel options, currently I have:
>>
>> options         ISP_TARGET_MODE=1
>> device          targ
>>
>> I've also tried just:
>>
>> options         ISP_TARGET_MODE
>>
>> and that doesn't seem to allow me to select one either.
>
> hints aren't needed.  Here's an intro on how to use it:
> http://root.org/~nate/freebsd/scsi/README.targ
>
> The same card is in target or initiator mode based on the scsi_target
> user program.  When it's running, target mode is enabled.

Hmm.  Then shouldn't a

camcontrol rescan all
camcontrol devlist -v

show me all the devices on the FC network?  If I remove the target mode
stuff out, and do that, I see all my devices.  With it in, I see no
devices.

When I run the scsi_target tool (scsi_target -d 0:3:0 /mnt/testfile), it
shows a bunch of "sending ccb (0x332)" and (0x334) messages alternating
for a couple hundred lines, then "main loop beginning" and a few other
messages.  If you want the full details, I'd be glad to sent them.

Once scsi_target is running, my other FC initiator (FreeBSD 6.1- also)
can see it.

>> Anyhow, I've compiled scsi_target (from
>> /usr/share/examples/scsi_target), and tried to run it using a 20gb
>> file as the target, and still I can't seem to get it working.
>> Is there a doc somewhere I need to read?
>>
>> Also - as a side note, the Makefile for scsi_target seems like it's
>> missing a path variable in order to do a make install, but that's not
>> a real issue.
>
> There was some debate when I imported it whether to make it an example
> or usr.sbin.  Given the lack of updates (i.e. ki_sig or whatever), I
> probably should have put it somewhere else.

Is it a totally non-supported kind of tool?  Is there another option for
scsi target mode?

Thanks!
Eric