Date:      Sat, 03 Oct 1998 11:39:12 +0100
From:      Gary Hall <gary.hall@mcg-graphics.com>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   SCSI Tape Backup - device not configured

Grovelling for help again. Have fitted a SCSI adaptor onto the computer
for a tape backup. The BIOS detects the SCSI adaptor and also the tape
drive attached to it.

When I try to test it out by typing tar -cv I get the error: tar: can't
open /dev/rst0: Device not configured.

If I type tar -cvf /dev/nrst0 I get the same message for nrst0. The
question is how do I configure the device ?

I typed in dmesg and neither rst0 or nrst0 was listed. My kernel has
device st0 listed under the heading scbus0.

I'm probably missing something fundamental here. Any ideas would be
appreciated.

Thanks
--

Gary Hall