Date:      Mon, 7 May 2001 21:59:03 +0200
From:      Raymond Wiker <Raymond.Wiker@fast.no>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Lockups with -Stable on Athlon

Jordan Hubbard writes:
 > Odd.  What sort of LISP environment are you running?  I've got 4.3
 > running on my 900MHz Athlon + ASUS K7 motherboard and it works great
 > and has for a long time.  Are you running a custom kernel
 > configuration?

	I'm using an EPOX 8KTA3+ with a Duron 700 (7x100), a 256MB
133MHz SIMM and a 128MB 100MHz SIMM. I noticed that the actual RAM
chips on the SIMMS were the same speed (7.5ns), so I forced the BIOS
to use the 133MHz timing. With this setup, I saw the same behaviour as
Fred Gilham reports.

	Sooo, I guess it could be either a marginal RAM chip, or
possibly some slight incompatibility with the motherboard. (I've seen
some talk on a resgroup dedicated to the EPOX 8KTA3+ that it's
possible to configure the VIA KT133A chipset for a higher "RAM drive
strength"; this is supposed to work with a wider range of SIMMS.)

	//Raymond.

--
Raymond Wiker
Raymond.Wiker@fast.no