Date:      Sun, 20 Dec 1998 09:03:26 -0500
From:      Dru <genisis@istar.ca>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Getting on the internet w/FreeBSD

>Date: Sun, 20 Dec 1998 09:01:00 -0500
>To: Larry Hawk <larryhawk@sprintmail.com>
>From: Dru <genisis@istar.ca>
>Subject: Re: Getting on the internet w/FreeBSD
>Cc: freebsdquestions@freebsd.org
>
>At 09:51 PM 19/12/98 -0600, you wrote:
>much snip
>
>> But if
>>simple things like getting on-line are this hard to figure out, then maybe
>>UNIX (i.e. FreeBSD, Linux, etc) just isn't for me. Please help. I don't
>>want Windows 98 to be my only option for an OS (It really sucks...). :-)
>
>Just to add the 2 cents worth of a former MCSE, hang in there Larry as
it's well worth it!  You don't even get a glimpse of the power/fun of
FreeBSD until you're connected to the net. It took me an embarassingly long
length of time to figure out ppp the first time around; I've since
connected 3 other boxes in less than 5 minutes each. (UNIX is definitely
easier the 2nd time around). Read the tutorial and download the latest
version of PPP at http://www.awfulhak.org  as this will save several hours
of frustration. Also read the PPP faq's at http://www.freebsd.org/faq as
they address the most common problems.

>Once you can connect, build lynx from /usr/ports/www.  You'll be amazed at
it's speed (especially if you've been using IE4). No more web site found,
waiting for reply as your poor hard drive grinds along. Click on a link,
and the page is there--no that's not just your screen refreshing. You may
even decide you don't need Netscape which is a definite option under XWindows.

>Don't be afraid to re-post to the list as you work your way through this;
do take the time to read the resources suggested though.