Date:      Sat, 9 Aug 1997 14:42:28 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        chuckr@glue.umd.edu (Chuck Robey)
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [nas] anyone using nas ?

> On Sat, 9 Aug 1997, Luigi Rizzo wrote:
>
> > I am trying to use nas with my new sound driver, but I am running into
> > some problems. First of all the original voxware module for vat seems
> > to me a little bit broken in that it does not check the amount of data
> > read/written to the device, and assumes the operation has successfully
> > completed.  Second problem, after fixing that, is that the audio (when
> > doing aurecord followed by auplay) seems to have very frequent hiccups,

i did a bit more testing. nas calls setitimer to wakeup periodically
and do the necessary processing (why it does this ? of course because
select() is broken in most drivers...)

It has a bug in the code since it computes the interval in
milliseconds, but then fills up the tv_usec field with a _millisecond_
value, resulting in a 64us timeout! Luckily intervals are rounded to
the next 1/hz boundary...