Date:      Sun, 21 Jun 1998 22:51:19 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Castor Fu <castor@geocast.net>
To:        "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@plutotech.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: O/S Support for large [512Mb] PC systems

On Sun, 21 Jun 1998, Justin T. Gibbs wrote:
> >In message <199806212036.NAA01265@antipodes.cdrom.com>, Mike Smith writes:
> >>Add www.hotmail.com, owned by Microsoft but Powered by FreeBSD.
> >
> >I was almost absolutely sure hotmail was running on Solaris, at least,
> >that's what the news story on Microsoft's failure to convert it to NT said.
>
> Hotmail funded the effort to port CAM to 2.2-stable for deployment on
> ~300 machines (they needed aic7895 support for some new machines they
> wanted to deploy).  Some of their operations may well be based on
> Solaris, but they certainly haven't stopped using FreeBSD.

Sounds to me like Microsoft decided Hotmail was going to run on "not Solaris",
but that NT was too large a value of "not Solaris" so they settled for FreeBSD.

Incidentally, I saw something saying that MS was buying a stake Pluto
Technologies.  Is this the same Pluto Technologies that you work for?

	-castor