Date:      Wed, 08 Jan 1997 11:15:01 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        Pedro Giffuni <m230761@ingenieria.ingsala.unal.edu.co>
Cc:        Satoshi Asami <asami@cs.berkeley.edu>, ache@nagual.ru, ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Niklas Hallqvist: archivers/hpack.non-usa.only

In message <Pine.SOL.3.91.970108093549.1846B-100000@ingenieria.ingsala.unal.edu.co> Pedro Giffuni writes:
: I was thinking on replacing (on all our port tree)
: #ifdef __FreeBSD__
: for:
: #if (defined(BSD) && (BSD >= 199306)) /*BSD 4.4*/

I think that's an ill advised chanage.  You need to look at what
changed and why in each of the porting cases.  Sometimes the best
thing to do is change them to #if 1 or #if 0.  Other times you'll want
it to only be FreeBSD.

Also, you need to arrange for the sys/param.h file to be included.
However, doing so will break portibility to systems that do no have
this file.  Windows NT is one that leaps to mind (at least as of the
VC++ 3.0 that I looked at a while ago).  So it isn't a simple sed -e
s/__FreeBSD__/that other stuff/g on the patches tree.  It is
non-trivial to arrange for all of this to happen, sadly.

: And let the OpenBSD guys report their specific patches. I asume they will
: want to mirror our master site and they will have a ports master(?).

No mirroring is done of the ports tree.  I'm acting as the ports
master, along with Niklas Hallqvist, who is actually doing the porting
of the ports (except for the ones that I need personally for my
sysem).

Letting the OpenBSD sort it out strikes me as a bad way to do this.
It sends the wrong message to the OpenBSD camp that they are not
important or worth consideration in the changes to the ports tree.
While this specific change may be better, framing the change in such
terms only exacerbates already tense relations between the two camps.
Just my view of the situation, not the opinion of any camps that I may
have my feet in...

Warner
Available for work Resume: http://www.village.org/villagers/imp/mwlres.html