Date:      Sat, 16 Jun 2001 19:06:30 -0400
From:      James Halstead <James_Bond_79@yahoo.com>
To:        greid@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   ports/28209: Update port: cups

I just submitted an update to the cups port as a pr:

Warning (i think). Compared to previous versions of this port there is one
difference that I leave to the committer to resolve.

Basically the old version was (by default) using /usr/local/var/spool/cups
(is this true? I never used the old port, but the new sources do this). I
would think that most people change it to /var/spool/cups and the port now
uses that directory.

The main reason I did this is that I spent nearly a full day scratching my
head trying to figure out why I could not print and the pstoraster filter sat
spinning at 100% cpu. A little trip through the source and debugger showed me
that they ever so nicely sit in an infinite loop trying to open a temp file
and since the /usr/local/var directory did not exist nothing progressed.

I do understand the need to keep things in /usr/local, but putting /var into
/usr/local/var didn't make sence to me if for the only reason that it does
not exist by default.

Any comments?

James