Date:      Wed, 16 Aug 1995 18:26:44 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org (FreeBSD-current users)
Subject:   Re: WordPerfect and Z-Mail for SCO - success!

As Garrett Wollman wrote:

> > I thought about that, but wouldn't making the default one just
> > grok \c be a bit easier?  Or does POSIX disallow that in an echo? :-)
>
> To the contrary, POSIX requires `\c' and disallows `-n'.  Yet Another
> Stupid Mistake on the part of P1003.2.

Neither:

 4.19.4  Operands

 The following operands shall be supported by the implementation:

    string      A string to be written to standard output.  If the first
                operand is "-n" or if any of the operands contain a
                backslash (\) character, the results are implementation
                defined.

They deprecate the usage of echo(1) in favor of the more portable
printf(1).  However, our printf(1) man page does at least not list the
P-thing in its HISTORY section.

--
cheers, J"org

joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de -- http://www.sax.de/~joerg/