Date:      Sat, 1 Feb 1997 12:17:40 +0100 (MET)
From:      leo@prosun.first.gmd.de (Matthias L. Jugel)
To:        netdev@roxanne.nuclecu.unam.mx
Subject:   lockfree datastructures

Hi folks,

a friend of mine forwarded me your interest in lock free data structures.

Maybe the following papers will help you:

	* General Aspects
		- "Axioms for Concurrent Objects", CMU-CS-86-154
		- "Reasoning About Concurrent Objects", CMU-CS-87-176
		- "Linearizeability: A Correctness Condition for Concurrent
		   Objects", CMU-CS-88-120
		  Maurice P. Herlihy, Jeanette M. Wing
		  Dept. of Computer Science, Carnegie-Mellong-Univ.

	* Methods
		- "A Methodology for Implementing Highly Concurrent Data
		   Objects", ACM Transactions on Programing Languages and
		   Systems, Vol 15, No 5, Nov 1993 Pages 746-770
		- "A Method for Implementing Lock-Free Shared Data Structures",
		   Proceedings of the 14th Annual ACM Symposium on Principles
		   of Distributed Computing, Ottawa, Ont. Canada, pp184-193
		   G. Barnes, 1995
		   also: MPI-I-94-120, Apr 1994, Max-Planck-Institut fuer
		 	 Informatik
		- "Practical Considerations for nonblocking concurrent objects"
		   Proceedings 13th IEEE International Conference on Distri-
		   buted Systems, IEEE Computer Society Press, pp 264-273
		   B.N. Bershad, 1993

	* Operating Systems
		- "The Synergy Between Non-Blocking Synchronisation and
		   Operating System Structure", CA 94305-9040
		   Michael Greenwald, David Cheriton
		   CS Dept, Stanford University
		- ... There is another paper I have to fetch ...

Ok, I hope the papers give you a clue about the problem. From experience
and discussion with our own OS builders I get the impression that for
most problems a CAS or CAS2 (Compare-And-Swap) is sufficient compared to
the proposed methods explained in the papers above.

I'd be very interested in any problems and solutions you have in mind,
because I am working on the subject in my PhD studies. If someone could
give me a more detailled description of the problems you want to solve
using non-blocking techniques.

Best wishes,

	Leo.
--
Matthias L. Jugel, leo@first.gmd.de
GMD   - German National Research Centre for Information Technology