Date:      Sat, 26 Jun 1999 09:46:32 -0700
From:      Fred Condo <fcondo@csuchico.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   StarOffice vs. FreeBSD 3.2-STABLE

I recently upgraded from FreeBSD 3.0-RELEASE to 3.2-STABLE, then installed the
StarOffice port. When I try to run swriter3, setup dumps core with a
segmentation fault. I used brandelf -t Linux on the executables. Gdb looks in
the wrong place for a certain library (see session below). Do I have to run a
/compat/linux/sbin/ldconfig command? If so, with what options?

====== transcript of setup of port ======
~ fred@hoopy$ swriter3
User Install required before swriter3 can be run, please wait...
/usr/local/StarOffice-3.1/linux-x86/bin/setup: can't resolve symbol
'_DefaultRuneLocale'
/usr/local/StarOffice-3.1/linux-x86/bin/setup: can't resolve symbol '__sF'
Segmentation fault - core dumped
Can't find initialisation script /usr/home/fred/.sd.sh, User Install must be
completed before swriter3 can be run.
~ fred@hoopy$ gdb /usr/local/StarOffice-3.1/linux-x86/bin/setup setup.core
GNU gdb 4.18
[...gdb copyright info elided...]
This GDB was configured as "i386-unknown-freebsd"...
(no debugging symbols found)...
Core was generated by `setup'.
/lib/libdl.so.1.7.14: No such file or directory.
#0  0x284988b2 in ?? ()
(gdb) q
======= transcript ends =======

I also tried installing version 5.1 of StarOffice from the StarOffice website.
It fails to find a certain library:

======= transcript of setup 5.1 ========
~/so51inst/office51 fred@hoopy$ ./setup
sh: /dev/null: Permission denied

ERROR: setup system check failed:

        libc.so.6   library not found

StarOffice 5.0 uses the new glibc2 (=libc6).
The libraries above could not be found.

The glibc_inst.tar package includes a README file which describes
how to install these libraries. It will be made available on the StarDivision
ftp mirror sites in the same directory as the StarOffice installation files.

You can try to run setup (and StarOffice) anyway. If it does
not work or you experience strange crashes or get unresolved symbol errors
we recommend installing the glibc_inst.tar package.

Do you want to proceed anyway ? <y/n> y
/tmp/sv002.tmp/setup.bin: error in loading shared libraries
libvos516li.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
~/so51inst/office51 fred@hoopy$ locate libc.so.6
/usr/compat/linux/lib/libc.so.6
~/so51inst/office51 fred@hoopy$ locate libvos
~/so51inst/office51 fred@hoopy$ linux
Linux driver already loaded
======== transcript ends ==========

The posted procedure for installing StarOffice 5.0 at
<http://lt.tar.com/so50.out>; does not seem to correspond to 5.1. I have the
Linux driver set up to load at boot time.

I notice that there is no LD_LIBRARY_PATH in my environment or in any of the
/usr/share/skel/* files. As an experiment, I tried setting it to
/usr/compat/linux/lib. This allowed setup to find libc.so.6, but of course it
still could not find libvos516li.so. Any assistance would be met with deep
gratitude.
--
Fred Condo + fcondo@csuchico.edu + http://webclass.csuchico.edu/
fredcondo@acm.org                +      fredcondo on Yahoo Pager