Date:      Wed, 30 Mar 2016 19:01:55 +0800
From:      Jia-Shiun Li <jiashiun@gmail.com>
To:        Hans Petter Selasky <hps@selasky.org>
Cc:        bob prohaska <fbsd@www.zefox.net>, "freebsd-arm@freebsd.org" <freebsd-arm@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Confusing RPI2 kernel options

On Wed, Mar 30, 2016 at 3:30 PM, Hans Petter Selasky <hps@selasky.org>
wrote:

> On 03/29/16 00:57, bob prohaska wrote:
>
>> On an RPI2 running 11-CURRENT  /usr/src/sys/arm/conf/RPI2 contains:
>>
>> # Comment following lines for boot console on serial port
>> device          vt
>> device          kbdmux
>> device          ukbd
>>
>> but in fact there _is_ a serial console and the options
>> are _not_ commented.
>>
>> I realize the USB keyboard isn't expected
>> to work, but it seems odd that the serial console does
>> work given the description. Do I misunderstand something?
>>
>> Thanks for reading,
>>
>> bob prohaska
>>

> Hi,
>
> The USB keyboard does not work on the serial console, only the HDMI port
> or display.

That's not about keyboard but "boot console",
or more formally "system console",
to which kernel messages is output.

At booting kernel,

- with vt, kernel boot messages go to HDMI display.
  Serial port shows nothing until getty is up for it to
  bring login prompt.
- without vt, kernel boot messages go to serial port.

-Jia-Shiun.