Date:      Thu, 14 Jun 2001 10:27:02 -0500
From:      Tony Wells <awells@journalstar.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Fdisk via /stand/sysinstall won't set proper disk size

Hi all,

I have an old 8G Maxtor disk I'm trying to install through
/stand/sysinstall.  I go to the Configure->Fdisk screen and it shows up
as a 4G disk, so I set the correct cylinders/heads/sectors and then it
shows up as an 8G disk at the top of the screen, but still only allows
me to use 4G for a FreeBSD filesystem.

Is there a trick to get this to work, or do I need to do this from a
command line to utilize all the disk?

If I have to do this from the command line, does anyone know the proper
fdisk switches?

Here's the layout of the disk:

cylinders/heads/sectors
16383/16/63