Date:      Sun, 16 Dec 2001 21:09:13 -0500
From:      "Noone Here" <oldtlhingan@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   help me w/2 box network using PLIP

im running 4.4-stable on my desktop and 4.2-release on a laptop. i have a
"laplink" parallel cable im trying to network them with.

ive used sysinstall to set up the two with PLIP, the desk has 10.0.0.1, the
laptop 10.0.0.2 ... and i think i pointed them at each other but i dont
think i have all the details right to get a network moving along.

my desktop was connected to the net by cable modem, all set up and working
with my provider blah blah. now i come along and mess with the configuration
files to get my laptop in on the action, and i think ive ruined my
previously working internet connection scrambling around.

could someone outline a few steps for me?
first i want my desktop to get back on the net, then i want to use it as a
gateway for my laptop, somehow through a parallel cable connection (PLIP?).
ive been "new" to FBSD for a while... still climbing the learning curve.

files ive contaminated with my curiosity: rc.conf, hosts, host.conf,
named.conf, resolv.conf, localhost.rev... yes i've been a busy bad boy.
hopefully my fingerprints can help someone solve this crime? :)