Date:      Tue, 23 Jun 1998 09:57:49 +0100
From:      Karl Pielorz <kpielorz@tdx.co.uk>
To:        Bill Vermillion <bill@bilver.magicnet.net>
Cc:        isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Recommended SCSI Drives

Bill Vermillion wrote:

> The Baracudda are robust and highly reliabe - if - make that a big
> IIFF - you install them according to the spec sheets that show the
> proper airflow direction and mounting instructions.

[snip]

> This means that there should be no drive above them - or mounted in
> the center of a 3.5 1/2 bay, and proper cooling.   I have a client
> who has 3 'cuddas in the their system - rock solid and faithful for
> about 2+ years.   However there are THREE cooling fans in the case

I couldn't agree more with this - cooling is _very_ important... I have
(touch wood) a large collection of 'old' drives, some of which are into
their fifth year, all have been cooled to the point of 'warm to to the
touch' for their entire lifetime, and (again, touch wood ;-) - No problems
yet...

The drives haven't even had any grown defects in years either... ;-)

I'm also debating on whether it's a 'good' idea to spin them down and up
every once in a while... We did have a spate of drives that would run for
about 3-4 years, but would die if you spun them down (mostly _sounded_ like
bad motors rather than the old 'sticky' media syndrome (FreeBSD systems are
the worst offender for this, as they never crash badly / often enough to
ensure the machine is switched off every once in a while! <G>)

Regards,

Karl Pielorz