Date:      Thu, 16 Jan 1997 22:49:18 -0700
From:      Steve Passe <smp@csn.net>
To:        Kenneth Merry <ken@housing1.stucen.gatech.edu>
Cc:        smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Adaptec 3940UW and SMP

Hi,

> > I don't think the millenium actually uses irq 11 for anything, how about
> > swapping slots 1 & 2, ie let the ahc1 grab the irq that is being reserved
> > for the vga card (but I *think* is unused)?
>
> 	Indeed, that works.  So now things look like this:
>
> Slot 1: Adaptec 3940UW   (IRQ 11)
> Slot 2: Matrox Millenium (IRQ 10)
> Slot 3: Empty            (IRQ 9)
> Slot 4: SMC 10/100 card  (IRQ 15)
> Slot 5: Empty            (shares IRQ w/ slot 4)
>
> 	ahc1 now grabs IRQ 10 from the millenium, and things seem to work
> okay.  This will hopefully enable me to add a video capture card at least,
> and perhaps a second ethernet card.  :)

could you expand on the comment "(shares IRQ w/ slot 4)"?  I visited the
ASUS site an noticed that there were 5 (NOT 4) slots on this board and thought
perhaps that that was done by making 2 PCI busses on the motherboard proper.
Thus I wasn't sure if you were seeing PCI0 and PCI1 because of this fact, or
because the BIOS was smart enough to see the PCI bridge on the 3940.
Since both ahc and ed0 are in the 1st 4 slots, and presumably the
MP table/dmesg shows them on pci1 and pci0, respectively, it appears to be
the result of a BIOS 'doing the good thing'!  This is re-enforced by the
MP table for the same ASUS board owned by someone else that has no
bridge cards and shows only 1 PCI bus (MP table database entry #5).

--
Steve Passe	| powered by
smp@csn.net	|            FreeBSD