Date:      Tue, 8 Aug 95 12:09:18 MDT
From:      terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
To:        rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com (Rodney W. Grimes)
Cc:        gibbs@freefall.cdrom.com, gary@palmer.demon.co.uk, jkh@time.cdrom.com, freebsd-current@freebsd.org, joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de
Subject:   Re: workaround for talk's address problem

> > >Can you run named on a multi-homed Novell server? :-)
> > >
> > >Gary
> >
> > Actually yes.  I believe that novell's NFS gateway comes with named, and
> > NIS.
>
> Unless they added this after netware 4.0 your wrong.  Novell's NFS comes
> with lpr/lpd gateway code, but uses static sys:\etc\hosts file for
> name resolution.  If it had DNS support I would have lost 5 system
> sales last year :-).
>
> Or is ``NFS Gateway'' something added after NFS 1.2b as a new product?

I don't know the product names.  But there is as part of some NFS
stuff the ability to have an NDS system act as an NIS master.

I don't know about DNS; maybe that's a confusion of NDS?

The reason for the NIS mastering is to support NDS based full network
administration and to support user ID mapping on NFS systems mounted
by (and from) the NetWare server.  Mostly "by".

I remember this well because we had to listen to the relatively bogus
security design when we were talking about unifying NDS and UNIX
logins in UnixWare 2.x so that there would be credentials instances
for NDS to avoid the NetWare login requestor for NUC (NetWare UNIX
Client) mounted Native NetWare volumes.

Then I pointed out "system boot" and since they hadn't thought about
how to get NDS credentials when NDS wasn't up and networking wasn't
up, the meeting got tabled.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@cs.weber.edu
---