Date:      Thu, 6 Jun 2002 16:13:57 -0500
From:      Chip Norkus <wd@arpa.com>
To:        "Chad Leigh -- Shire. Net LLC" <chad@shire.net>
Cc:        aaron g <click46@operamail.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: JDK in a Jail?

On Thu Jun 06, 2002; 01:54PM -0400 Chad Leigh -- Shire. Net LLC propagated the following:

> On Thursday, June 6, 2002, at 01:46 , aaron g wrote:
>
> > Hmm, should have mentioned what I have tried already. The first thing I
> > did was copy the ports tree over and just try a simple port install. I
> > did not install linux_compat in the host environment and this is where
> > I ran into problems. Many of the needed steps [notably "mknod"] are
> > impossible to do in a jail environment.
> >
> > Would rebuilding the host environment with linux_compat and then
> > rebuilding the jail resolve my problem? I haven't tried this yet since
> > I've already rebuilt my apache jail thrice times now.
>
> Try this.  Install linux_compat in the host, install the jdks you want
> to run in the host, copy over the jdks from the host into the jail
> directory structure.  Once built, they should work I would expect.  I
> have not tried this yet but maybe I will in my test jail...

You might also try simply compiling the (FreeBSD native) jdk in the host
environment, and doing a 'make package', then copying the package itself
into the jail and doing a pkg_add.

Just don't redistribute your package, or the flying monkeys will get you.

> Chad

[snip]

-wd
--