Date:      Sun, 14 Sep 1997 05:02:38 -0500
From:      dkelly@hiwaay.net
To:        justin@ashworth.org
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Disk copying

Justin Ashworth writes:

> What is the easiest and most reliable way to copy my data from one hard
> drive to another? My primary FreeBSD hard drive is doing some funny
> stuff and I'd like to transfer the data over to a replacement drive
> without losing anything or having to redo the install. Is there any way
> I can do this without having to format, partition, etc. manually?

Unless the two drives are identical, or at least the 2nd is larger, you
could use "dd if=/dev/rsd0 of=rsd1 bs=1024k" or similar. Need to do more
checking on the exact device to use for the copy, you want a "whole
device" device, not one working out of slices.

I suggest you bite the bullet and let sysinstall create a new partition
table and all that good stuff on your new disk. It'll even mkfs for you.
You really wanted to increase your root, swap and var partition sizes,
didn'ty you? Then use dump piped into restore for each of your partitions.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net