Date:      Sun, 24 Dec 1995 20:18:21 -0700
From:      kelly@fsl.noaa.gov (Sean Kelly)
To:        craigs@venus.os.com
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Unpleasant scrolling behaviour on 2.1.0 (fwd)

    Craig> By color I mean the directory entries are in color.  Like
    Craig> *.gz files are red, symlinks are cyan, directories are blue
    Craig> and device files are yellow etc. etc.

Make sure that on the Linux box the terminal setting you're using from
the FreeBSD host (scoansi wasn't it?) supports color, otherwise the
colorls on the Linux host won't produce color even though the FreeBSD
terminal is capable of it.

    Craig> The "poor screen performance" is only when the FreeBSD box
    Craig> is the originator of the telnet session.  Telnets or
    Craig> rlogins to the FreeBSD box are fine.  Also, local usage is
    Craig> fine.  The best way to describe the problem is when I do a
    Craig> dir (ls -aFl) on a big directory it will scroll a few lines
    Craig> then stop, scroll a few more, stop, scroll a few more,
    Craig> stop, etc.  It really annoys me.  It's like calling a BBS
    Craig> at 14,400 but I'm on 10Mbs ethernet.

    Craig> BTW: It's not the network because telnet localhost does the
    Craig> same thing!

I tried this and I see what you mean!  I did `ls -R /' on console and
after `telnet .' and the difference is definitely noticeable, I'd say
this isn't a deficiency in the FreeBSD console terminal emulation
... the problem is more likely in the networking setup, but I'm not
sure where.

I naively tried increasing the MTU for lo0, but that didn't help
`telnet .'.

--
Sean Kelly
NOAA Forecast Systems Laboratory, Boulder Colorado USA

My grandfather invented Cliff's Notes.  It all started back in 1912...
Well, to make a long story short ... -- Steven Wright