Date:      Thu, 18 Jan 2007 22:32:56 -0500
From:      bobmc <bobmc@bobmc.net>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD challenged by Internet

Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
> Hi Bob,
>
>   As I am ad administrator of an ISP that is a DSL
> ISP that offers DSL, and also runs FreeBSD on it's
> servers, I am going to address your point.
>
>  The problem your having is present on MANY of
> these "some box(s) which connects me to to net"
> Generally, it's older Linksys and Netgear routers that
> are the worst offenders.  The newer devices don't
> generally have this problem - the manufacturers aren't
> completely stupid, and do learn from their mistakes -
> bot not always.  I'm still seeing stupid crap like this in
> even the latest boxes.
>
> Now, here's where I'm going to take you somewhat to
> task.  You have to understand some things about marketing
> these boxes.
>
> When a company like Airlink101 produces a
> "cable/DSL" ethernet router and sells it for $30,
> or a company like 2 Wire, or Westell, or ActionTec,
> produces a DSL modem/router combo that sells
> for $60, it is absolutely impossible for them to make
> a profit doing this unless they configure their support
> offering so that the quality of technical support you
> get is on the level of that which would be provided by
> your average 6 year old.  Also, these companies simply
> cannot afford to put their best programming and design
> talent on solving things like slow DNS resolver queries
> through their proxy, when these problems are reported.
>
> Instead when they get these problems, they spend the
> R&D money and talent they have building next year's
> model - which is then sold for another $30, next year.
>
> Slow DNS queries are just one of the problems on a
> very long, long, long laundry list of problems with these
> small cheapo routers.
>
> Yet, do the customers that actually have these devices,
> after going through 2 or 3 of them in that many years,
> actually stop one day and say "Gee, I'm really stupid
> to keep urinating my money away on these cheezy
> little routers when I could spend $600 on a nice new
> Cisco 800 series and get expert Cisco support on it, and
> it would work and I could then just forget about it"
>
> Of course not.  So, who do you think ends up picking
> up the slack?  I'll tell you, it's us ISP's that's who.
>
> If you were our DSL customer and you called in with
> this problem, we would have known immediately what
> it was, and instructed you in how to correct the configuration.
> In your case the absolute best way is to ditch your
> router and turn on pppoe on your BSD box and config
> your DSL modem out of routing mode and into bridging
> mode.  Or your cable modem, or whatever.
>
> You wouldn't get that as a response if you were running
> Windows - since Windows attracts security crackers like
> dog shit attracts flies - but any UNIX - be it Linux, MacOS X
> or whatever, you would get that response.
>
> Anyway, I think you should have availed yourself of your ISP's
> tech support department first.   And if your ISP's support
> department stinks - some unfortunately do - then drop service
> [...]
Hi Ted:

Thanks for your thoughtful reply.  My ISP has or used to have
some kind of optical modem in the basement. There was a
direct RJ45 LAN cable from there to my condo. Two years
ago they provided a Cayman 3300 Broadband Gateway modem
for my computer jack. So they probably swapped other
equipment between me and the 'net.  But this setup worked the
same with Linux and old win98.

But FreeBSD was not pleased with this setup. Perhaps it was
ISP hardware, ISP configuration, or some error within BSD.
But I cannot determine root cause.  I just know that BSD does
not accept a private IP as being from a nameserver. So DNS
requests must be routed to an actual nameserver. And that
requires altering the DHCP lease in my case.

My setup works but it is still outputting IPv6 packets.  The
logic expressed within /etc says that IPv6 is disabled by
default.  Another mystery.

Cheers,
-Bob-

PS:  You top-poster... how did you get away with it?
:-)