Date:      Sat, 8 May 1999 14:16:39 -0500
From:      Chris Costello <chris@holly.dyndns.org>
To:        Joel Sutton <jsutton@genesis.net.au>
Cc:        Nicole Harrington <nicole@nmhtech.com>, freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [ADV] Re: www.tunelinux.com - an interesting idea...

On Fri, May 7, 1999, Joel Sutton wrote:
> I agree. All we need now are some original ideas....

   You wouldn't believe how many ideas I shot down before I came
up with this.

> I like this idea, but wouldn't it be better to keep these packages in the
> ports collection?

   That's mostly what I had in mind.  I would use the ports
system's "make package" target to build the package, and provide
both ports tarballs and packages, but I must say this:  I don't
have the resources to make nearly the amount of things I have
come up with.

> I'd be willing to put something together with PHP3.

   "put something together" - I assume you mean building the
website and not providing a package for PHP3?  (That already
exists!)

> > 1) Expected disk space needed.
>
> I'm not sure about this one. It would really depend on the popularity of
> the project. This would be a knowledge base rather than a "file store" so
> that should limit the space required somewhat. We'd have to define some
> limits in both disk space, types of information and the age of the
> information.

   An average conf-file package shouldn't go over 1 MB, an
average custom-built package shouldn't go over 10 MB.  Is this
reasonable?

> > 2) Other resouces needed (I assume just web server and ftp server is needed)
>
> Apache
> PHP3
> MySql/Postrgresql
> FTP server (for packages???)

   If I were to work on this project, I would like to use MySQL,
unless there are serious performance issues with it that I'm not
aware of.

> > 3) Who would be in charge of the project
>
> Someone who knows about performace tuning systems. This really rules me
> out. :-) A show of hands perhaps? For the information to be effective
> there would need to be some sort of approval process - which translates to
> someones time unfortunately...

   Let's clone David Greenman.

--
Chris Costello                                <chris@calldei.com>