Date:      Sun, 21 Mar 2010 19:15:29 +0000
From:      Krzysztof Dajka <alteriks@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Can't boot after make installworld

Hi, I'm having problem with upgrading my FreeBSD to RELENG_8.  Building
world and kernel went smoothly I can boot with new kernel, but after 'make
installworld' I could boot my system. My system prints only:
BTX loader 1.00 BTX version is 1.01
Console: internal video/keyboard
BIOS drive C: is disk0
BIOS drive D: is disk1
BIOS drive E: is disk2
BIOS drive F: is disk3

And freezes...

Here is my configuration:
[~] # cat /etc/src.conf
LOADER_ZFS_SUPPORT=YES
[~] # cat /etc/make.conf
WITH_KDE_PHONON=YES
# added by use.perl 2010-03-10 21:03:54
PERL_VERSION=5.10.1
WITHOUT_NOUVEAU=YES

What have I done:
rm -rf /usr/obj
make buildworld
make buildkernel
make  installkernel
nextboot -o '-s' -k kernel
shutdown -r now

Reboot went fine:
[~] # uname -a
FreeBSD altstation 8.0-STABLE FreeBSD 8.0-STABLE #0: Sun Mar 21 09:57:11 UTC
2010 toor@altstation:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC amd64
zfs mount -a
zfs set readonly=off zroot
adjkerntz -i
mergemaster -p
cd /usr/src
make installworld
mergemaster
shutdown -r now

Unfortunately my system hangs while booting and I had to rollback to
snapshot before 'make installworld' Actually I'm using new kernel build
today and 'world' from install dvd. It's my first FreeBSD upgrade, am I
missing something?