Date:      Fri, 10 Apr 2020 21:47:00 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd-rwg@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>
To:        Neel Chauhan <neel@neelc.org>
Cc:        lev@freebsd.org, "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd-rwg@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, "Andrey V. Elsukov" <bu7cher@yandex.ru>
Subject:   Re: Committing one ipfw(8) userland patch

> Thank you all for your feedback.
>
> Using the same Phabricator revision here:
> https://reviews.freebsd.org/D24234
>
> I have added the src-ip4/dst-ip4 and src-ipv4/dst-ipv4 specifiers and
> made src-ip/dst-ip dual-stack, to be consistent with me/me4/me6
> described in this thread.
>
> Could you all please give your opinions on it?

I took a look at this and D24021 and am a bit confused as no
changes are actually being made to the kernel ipfw code, so
how does it know which are now dual vs single stack.  As
far as I can see no actual change would be experienced
by the me/me4/me6 changes as they are all simply encoded
as O_IP_{SRC,DST}_ME when it gets to the kernel.

It could be I am missing something, it has been a very
long time since I looked at the inards of ipfw.

Also I am not sure if you want to attempt to flag no-op cases like
	ipfw add ip4 from me6 to any
which I believe would be allowed and create a rule that never
matched anything.  (Actually with the current code I think it
would still match local ipv4 address, which arguable is wrong.)

> -Neel
>
> On 2020-04-10 04:10, Lev Serebryakov wrote:

> >> I also think this idea sounds better.
> >
> > +1

I am glad people liked this solution, lets make sure it is
implemented cleanly and in a 100% backwards compatible way,
breaking ipfw rule sets is frowned upon by users.