Date:      Mon, 6 Feb 95 21:04:23 MST
From:      terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
To:        davidg@Root.COM
Cc:        jmb@kryten.atinc.com, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: MIT SHM X11 extensions? (fwd)

> >> Further, Terry's assertion that the
> >> binary's vnode has the VTEXT flag turned on (and thus prevents you from
> >> overwriting it [ETXTBUSY]) is also WRONG. It does NOT do this, and as such it
> >> is perfectly okay to clobber your binary.
> >
> >Oh ick.
> >
> >Uh, why is ETXTBUSY still around?
>
>    To protect executing, pageable, binaries from being clobbered...which is
> exactly how it is used. The kernel is not a pageable binary, is not "executed"
> in the traditional sense.

See the first set of quoted material above -- how are you not tagging the
vnode, yet you know to return ETXTBUSY?

The only locking I can see is advisory.  And it *looks* like the VTEXT *is*
being used.

How does this jive with it being OK to clobber your binary?

Or did you think I was talking about the VTEXT flag being set on the kernel
vnode?  I *know* that doesn't happen: the kernel isn't opened through the
VFS, it's opened by the boot code.

Is there something here I am missing?

					Puzzled,
					Terry Lambert