Date:      Sat, 29 May 1999 15:43:55 -0500
From:      Jacques Vidrine <n@nectar.cc>
To:        Joel Ray Holveck <joelh@gnu.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FS tuning (Was: File system gets too fragmented ???)

On 29 May 1999 at 0:03, Joel Ray Holveck <joelh@gnu.org> wrote:
[snip]
> How do people like to set up their filesystems these days?  I've heard
> of people who like one big fs (not generally usable anymore because of
> the 1024 cyl limit), others who like the small root fs and one big fs
> for everything else, and some who like separate fs's for different
> things.  All other things (disk speed, etc) being equal, what's this
> groups' opinion?
[snip]

My $0.02...

For the past few months, I've been going crazy with vinum.  I have 4 x
9GB storage on my workstation, and I use vinum for everything but /,
/var, and /usr.  I have about a dozen small (< 650Mb) filesystems, and
I often create scratch filesystems for special purposes (such as
rolling a release).

I like having a lot of small filesystems... I can tune or export them
individually, and they are easy to dump incrementally or reorganize.
I also make sure that any one of them could fit on a single CD-ROM in
case I decide to make an archive of some of them.

Jacques Vidrine / n@nectar.cc / nectar@FreeBSD.org