Date:      Fri, 13 Nov 2020 11:55:24 +0100
From:      Andrea Venturoli <ml@netfence.it>
To:        Johan Hendriks <joh.hendriks@gmail.com>, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Shutdown errors and timeout

On 11/13/20 11:35 AM, Johan Hendriks wrote:

Just my 2c...

> The vritual machine seems to fail stopping something and gives a timeout
> after 90 sec.

I've seen this on many (physical) boxes and I solved by increasing
shutdown timeout. Sometimes 90s is just too little (especially, but not
only, if you have VMs running).

E.g. I have rcshutdown_timeout="600" in /etc/rc.conf and
kern.init_shutdown_timeout=900 in /etc/sysctl.conf.

> On the bare metal machine i see the following.
> Writing entropy file: .
> Writing early boot entropy file: .
> cannot unmount '/var/run': umount failed
> cannot unmount '/var/log': umount failed
> cannot unmount '/var': umount failed
> cannot unmount '/usr/home': umount failed
> cannot unmount '/usr': umount failed
> cannot unmount '/': umount failed

Probably a process is still running and that's why those filesystems
cannot be (unforcibly) unmounted.
Logs can help identify which process it is.
Perhaps putting rc_debug="YES" in /etc/rc.conf can be useful.

  bye
	av.