Date:      Tue, 09 Apr 2002 01:41:18 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Andrew <andrew@ugh.net.au>
Cc:        callum.gibson@db.com, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ipcrm/shmctl failure

Andrew wrote:
> On Tue, 9 Apr 2002 callum.gibson@db.com wrote:
> > I replied privately to Terry, but I perhaps should have mentioned also
> > that some of these segments were days old and they were definitely not
> > in use by any process. I logout at the end of every day.
>
> Have you tried ipcs -p?

I believe this will give incorrect information, as it's pretty
obvious that any bug here has to be in the Linux ABI treatment
of the _exit() resource tracking cleanup of the segments when a
proce (or "Linux thread") exits.  The information "-p" gives is
the last access.  However, if what has happened is that all the
programs have been stopped, and the reference count was not
decremented by the Linux ABI code, then the last reference you
will see is the already exited X server.

-- Terry