Date:      Wed, 13 Dec 2000 12:19:25 -0800
From:      bmah@FreeBSD.ORG (Bruce A. Mah)
To:        Ken Key <key@network-alchemy.com>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: More IBM T20 BIOS booting weirdness.

If memory serves me right, Ken Key wrote:
> Well, we just had the T20 that was dual-booting Win98SE and FreeBSD
> (the BIOS v1.03 box) become a brick.  The guy was moving over to a T21
> (thanks to Bruce Mah's loaning me a major clue this weekend) using

Remember to return the clue when you're done with it...I frequently
run short of them and every last one counts.

> the change-the-partition-type-hack.  He went to reinstall Win98SE from
> the IBM rescue CD, to wipe it before putting it back in the pool.  After
> it downloaded some files and tried to reboot, it exhibited the same
> brick behaviors I was seeing on the later BIOS version T20's, T21's,
> and A21P's.  Got it to boot again by putting the drive in my 600x
> and nuking the 165.

As someone else pointed out earlier on this list, it's physically
possible to hot-swap the T20's hard disk if you get into this
situation, although it is definitely non-recommended.  I sure don't
advise doing it.

Bruce.