Date:      Wed, 26 Apr 95 09:41:18 EDT
From:      tom@batc.allied.com (Tom Roden)
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Problems with SNAP 0412

Greetings,

A problem has appeared with SNAP 0412 that was not present in previous
snapshots:

First the hardware:

Gateway P5-90 64MB RAM
2 IDE hard drives
	c:  512 MB with a 503 MB DOS partition, rest unused
	d:  489 MB with a 125 MB DOS partition, rest FreeBSD as follows:
			a   236 MB /
			b   128 MB swap
SoundBlaster 16
Sony CDU33
3Com 509
Colorado Floppy Tape

Installation of the boot floppy and cpio floppy proceed without incident.
Kernel correctly identifies both hard drives (model and geometry).  Upon
reboot from the hard disk, everything proceeds normally until I get the
'changing root device to wd1a' message, at which point the computer locks up
and the only solution is to push reset.

If someone could help with this I would be grateful.

PS  A problem that has been in previous snaps and is still present is that
the kernel mis-identifies the CPU clock speed.  It reports 75 Mhz, 84 MHz,
etc. (rarely 90 MHz).

Regards and thanks,
Tom