Date:      Tue, 30 Mar 1999 03:22:15 +1000 (EST)
From:      Darren Reed <avalon@coombs.anu.edu.au>
To:        jdp@polstra.com (John Polstra)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   reproducable filesystem corruption in 2.2.8

In some mail from John Polstra, sie said:

> In article <199903291550.BAA28981@cheops.anu.edu.au>,
> Darren Reed  <avalon@coombs.anu.edu.au> wrote:
> > Well, I toggled the internal BIOS termination setting and
> > it still crashes.
>
> Don't be insulted if this is too obvious, but ... have you run fsck
> on all your filesystems since you fixed the termination and cabling?
> There could be a lot of residual damage in your filesystems from
> earlier errors.

Yes.

And having changing the termination (yet again), the problem is
again aparent but the box hasn't yet panic'd.

Now that the tar is complete, I'm seeing these messages:

tar: couldn't change access and modification times of ports/x11/dxpc/pkg/CVS : No such file or directory
tar: cannot change mode of file ports/x11/dxpc/pkg/CVS to 0755 : No such file or directory
tar: couldn't change access and modification times of ports/x11/dxpc/pkg : No such file or directory
tar: cannot change mode of file ports/x11/dxpc/pkg to 0755 : No such file or directory
tar: couldn't change access and modification times of ports/x11/dxpc/files/CVS : No such file or directory
tar: cannot change mode of file ports/x11/dxpc/files/CVS to 0755 : No such file or directory
tar: couldn't change access and modification times of ports/x11/dxpc/files : No such file or directory
tar: cannot change mode of file ports/x11/dxpc/files to 0755 : No such file or directory
tar: couldn't change access and modification times of ports/x11/dxpc/CVS : No such file or directory
tar: cannot change mode of file ports/x11/dxpc/CVS to 0755 : No such file or directory
tar: couldn't change access and modification times of ports/www/web500gw/files/CVS : No such file or directory
tar: cannot change mode of file ports/www/web500gw/files/CVS to 0755 : No such file or directory
^Z

which is usually just prior to a panic.  Further examination:

# ll. /mnt/usr/ports/www/web500gw
total 9
drwxr-xr-x   6 root  wheel   512 Jan  7 10:28 ./
drwxr-xr-x  92 root  wheel  2048 Mar 30 03:04 ../
drwxr-xr-x   2 root  wheel   512 Jan  7 10:28 CVS/
-rw-r--r--   1 root  wheel   946 Oct 26 15:53 Makefile
-rw-r--r--   1 root  wheel   754 Nov 30 13:44 README.html
drwxr-xr-x   3 root  wheel   512 Jan  7 10:28 files/
drwxr-xr-x   3 root  wheel   512 Jan  7 10:28 patches/
drwxr-xr-x   3 root  wheel   512 Jan  7 10:28 pkg/

# ls -al /mnt/usr/ports/www/web500gw/files
#

that's right, no "." or ".." in that directory.  Doing a "cat" of that
directory shows junk - nothing even vaguely resembling a directory.
FWIW, this problem has (in the recent trials) always manifested itself
in the "ports" directory on /usr where there is a *large* number of
files/inodes compared to size.

If anyone cares, I'd say that I now have a reproducable problem with UFS
on FreeBSD 2.2.8 (I've never used the 68pin SCSI cable before last Saturday
and haven't swapped that yet).  My next step is to boot off a 3.1 floppy
and see if that's any better.

The only devices as wd0, sd0, fd0 and all other cables disconnected.

Darren