Date:      Thu, 7 Nov 2002 21:29:28 -0600
From:      "Kevin D. Kinsey, DaleCo, S.P." <kdk@daleco.biz>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Eating Crow...

Dear List....

   Seems likes it's time to eat some crow.

A poster says...
> this completely user-UNfriendly operating system and
> replacing it with something that we commonplace morons
> can use?

Three people answer her.  Two of them do
the Right Thing(tm) and give a polite and
accurate response.  The third---me---gives
the Right Advice(tm), but in the Wrong Way.
Opinion seems pretty split between just
how Wrong that Way was, but it's pretty
obvious from the content of some other
recent posts that I've opened Pandora's
box.  I hope it can be closed again.

>your reply was snide and condescending.

Well, at least it had content that was snide
and condescending.  This fellow was sharp
and sensitive enough to see the dagger in
the pretty wrapper.  And while I offered
Good Advice(tm), it's quite hard to hear
after you get stabbed in the back.

>i thought your earlier was polite and to
>the point.

Yes, perhaps, at least in the wording; but
the truth is you can be polite whilst you
stick a knife in someone's back....they
still get hurt.  In a general programming
syntax, ((Right*Wrong)=Right) returns
"0".

Now, look at this:
Sometime later, another poster asks a question...
and someone who had pointed out how
I had been acting acted in much the same
way.

>if you spent as much time on RTFM as
>you did on this...<snip>

Spurred on by the growing acceptance of
general unpoliteness, *begun by me*, this
second poster, who has no doubt read my
earlier comments, takes the 'F' from the acronym
(well, some people says that's what it for)
and makes several of us blush, if we have much
decency left in this 21st century...

><snip>

Finally, someone else says that "it all
evens out."  I doubt he found that at
Googlis.....backing out of words ill
spoken is harder than reverting your
OS version....

Now, you may say that this is commonplace
enough on the web, and on mailing lists in
general, but I have found that typically this is
less true in freebsd@ that many other lists
on the net, and that is not even remotely the
issue.  The issue is _not_  how things are
done in general; it is how things _should_ be
done, and _what's right_.  What I did was
*not right*.

I'm not trying to make a soap opera out
of this (it is too long already), but I don't
like the fact that I've done this.  I am
sorry to the list in general, and to those
affected in particular.

Paul, I am sorry...I was 'snide and
condescending', and it was *considered*
rather than inherent.  I am particularly
sorry that my poor behavior spilled over
into your correspondence.  I am pretty
sure that you are not generally like that.

Bryan, I am *very sorry* that I presented
a poor example.  Please don't clutter the
lists with trash talk (I know you didn't send
it to the list, but it got there anyway...:-(

Finally to Ms. Behm, the OP.  I am
*extremely* sorry that I treated you in
this way.  I do not know how I can
demonstrate this to you, but I offer
you my assistance in any way possible.
One reason I mentioned 'consultant'
(twice, I guess) is because that is what
I do.  In penance for my action(s), I
offer you my assistance in any way possible
over the month of November.  You may
send me email, or call my phone number,
which you can find at www.daleco.biz/contact.html ,
anytime, day or night, and I will attempt to
help you get you computer configured so
that it will be more useful to you.

I hope, and will attempt, to do better
next time.