Date:      Sat, 04 Mar 2000 00:23:16 +0100
From:      Thomas <thomas.salmon@tu-clausthal.de>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   cannot install any port

hi Filippo and the others,

I tried your suggestion to first build a checksum file (i guess this is
what "make makesum" does), but that didn't work neither.
the error code (1) given indicates that the program cannot find the
tarballs.
Even after copying the whole bunch of them in different directories and
pointing on them with "make DISTDIR=/where/they/were" at that time
didn't make it.
What can i do?
Is there some envirementvariable, that has to be modified?

Has anybody experienced strange behavior installing current 4.0?
There seems to lack a file in XFree86. When I try to start X, the system
responds that it could not find ./.../../XFree86ThrStub.so.6

Another question: How do I set up my internet connection?
I am behind a WinNt- proxy in our local net. I could already configure
Lynx to use this proxy but the automatic downloading of ports doesn't
work yet.