Date:      Sat, 22 Apr 2000 04:55:30 -0400
From:      "Tai's public account" <naoyuki_tai@mac.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   USB Trouble with Onboard VIA controller

 Hello,

 I am tring to use USB and having a difficulty.
 I have a FIC VA503+ motherboard and AMD K6-2 500.
The motherboard has onboard VIA USB controller.

On-board VIA controller,
 1. With BIOS setup menu, USB keyboard works.
 2. With Win98 and DOS, USB keyboard works.
 3. With FreeBSD 4.0-RELEASE, the keyboard is sometime
not recognized. When it is recognized, the keystorkes
are often lost and behaves quite erratically.

 To make sure the keyboard is Ok, I put in a ADS's USB
PCI card. The card uses OPTi's chip / OHCI driver.
 With this, USB keyboard works well under FreeBSD 4.0-
RELEASE.

 Since Keyboard (and mouse) works OK  with 98, I
am assuming the on board USB controller, wiring, etc.
are fine.

 I compiled the kernel with some USB debug options
turned on. The keyboard reports status = 13 from
keyboard interrupt which is IOERROR.

 I am suspecting there is a subtle timing issue in
VIA controller which is causing the problem with
UHCI driver.
 Could someone help me?

 Thanks.

-- naoyuki_tai@mac.com, Naoyuki Tai