Date:      Wed, 3 Nov 1999 23:28:07 -0600 (CST)
From:      Chris Dillon <cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us>
To:        Gerard Roudier <groudier@club-internet.fr>
Cc:        scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SYM-0.9.0 ok for 3.3 and -current (was SYM driver available for -stable)

On Mon, 1 Nov 1999, Gerard Roudier wrote:

> I had updated my local repository last week-end and have had time this
> week-end for checking that SYM-0.9.0 compiles ok for 3.3 and -current as
> expected, and btw works fine for me under these O/S versions.

Well, I'm beating on your driver as I write with a 'make -j 8 world',
a copy of the entire CVS repository from one drive to another, and a
restore from tape to a scratch part of a drive, all at the same time.

sym0: <875> rev 0x03 int a irq 10 on pci0.18.0
sym0: Tekram NVRAM, ID 7, Fast-20, parity checking
sa0 at sym0 bus 0 target 5 lun 0
sa0: <SONY SDT-5200 3.30> Removable Sequential Access SCSI-2 device
sa0: 5.000MB/s transfers (5.000MHz, offset 8)
cd0 at sym0 bus 0 target 2 lun 0
cd0: <NEC CD-ROM DRIVE:463 1.05> Removable CD-ROM SCSI-2 device
cd0: 10.000MB/s transfers (10.000MHz, offset 15)
cd0: Attempt to query device size failed: NOT READY, Medium not
present
da0 at sym0 bus 0 target 0 lun 0
da0: <IBM DCAS-34330W S65A> Fixed Direct Access SCSI-2 device
da0: 40.000MB/s transfers (20.000MHz, offset 15, 16bit)
da0: 4134MB (8467200 512 byte sectors: 255H 63S/T 527C)
da1 at sym0 bus 0 target 1 lun 0
da1: <IBM DCAS-34330W S65A> Fixed Direct Access SCSI-2 device
da1: 40.000MB/s transfers (20.000MHz, offset 15, 16bit)
da1: 4134MB (8467200 512 byte sectors: 255H 63S/T 527C)

Everything is working great.  I haven't done any type of benchmarking
yet to see which driver is faster for me, but so far they appear to be
about the same.

I don't know if this is because of the sym driver or not, but I have
noticed that under all this load there is approximately a .5
(one-half) second freeze every 5 to 10 seconds, and the SCSI activity
light goes out entirely.  This makes system responsiveness seem
"choppy".  According to systat -vmstat 1, interrupts for the SCSI
controller drop very low (40-50) during the freeze and then peak at
about 300 interrupts per second after the freeze is over.  Interrupts
average 100-125 interrupts per second normally.  Since systat is
reporting interrupts per second, the freeze is approximately one-half
second, and the running average is 100-125 interrupts/second, that
would lead me to believe that NO interrupts are occurring for the SCSI
controller during that freeze.  Tomorrow I'll put the ncr driver under
the same load and see if I experience the same choppiness.  All of my
filesystems are running softupdates, so the large bursts of I/O caused
by softupdates might have something to do with it.

Well, the 'make -j 8 world' just finished, and everything is happy.

Great work, Gerard!

-- Chris Dillon - cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us - cdillon@inter-linc.net
   FreeBSD: The fastest and most stable server OS on the planet.
   For Intel x86 and Alpha architectures (SPARC under development).
   ( http://www.freebsd.org )

   "One should admire Windows users.  It takes a great deal of
    courage to trust Windows with your data."