Date:      Sun, 24 Apr 2005 12:42:45 +0200
From:      Jose M Rodriguez <josemi@freebsd.jazztel.es>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Cc:        Milan Obuch <ports@dino.sk>
Subject:   Re: splitting courier-authlib into master+slave ports

El Domingo, 24 de Abril de 2005 10:13, Milan Obuch escribi=F3:
> On Sunday 24 April 2005 09:33, Jose M Rodriguez wrote:

> > > as a port or as a package? I've installed now all ports as
> > > package and it looks like everything works as well. Of course,
> > > the functional test I can only do with the vchkpw/vpopmail
> > > interface. Used with courier-imap and sqwebmail. As far as I can
> > > see, it works.
> > >
> > > Anything left?
> >
> > At last here, one potential problem arise:
> >
> > courier-authlib-base doesn't have any passwd components.
>
> ... which I consider to be good. It should be possible for user to
> select which one he wants.

I don't think so.  A common user expects couier-authlib be capable of=20
reading system passwd 'out of the box'.  The rest must be selectable.

> > I think we must take off courier-authlib-pwd and
> > courier-authlib-pam and direct build courier-authlib-base with pam
> > support.
>
> I do not agree here. To me this new design is better. I am building
> mail servers with virtual hosting and I do not want any unneeded
> components installed. Even small ones.

You may take out small component, but this is a system component.

> > This makes courier-authlib-base a good substitute of
> > courier-authlib in dependencies.
>
> For this particular problem, we should add a message telling 'no
> authentication module installed'. I see here just one problem - base
> port/package needs to be installed first, so this test will go to all
> ports depending on courier-authlib... Or maybe after installing base
> port we could just test the presence of options for meta port, and if
> this file/directory does not exist, issue a warning message to the
> user. This way we can even add confirmation request to the user.

This may fullfill your needs, but is a really ill system design.  This=20
will end with courier-imap and so depends on courier-authlib-pam to=20
gets a minimal working setup.

I think that this is better:

                --without-authcustom \
                --without-authshadow \
+                --without-authpwd \
+                --with-authpam \

> To me this should be enough. If someone reads this message, he/she
> should understand without authentication module every attempt fails.
> If someone does not read install messages, well, we can't do anything
> for him... Milan

And you can't to disable authpam load in authdaemon to fullfill your=20
needs.  Or are you able to do this without too much effort?

Well, can we route the PRs to you? I Expect 'some mail' if=20
courier-authlib can't read system passwd 'out of the box'.

=2D-
  josemi