Date:      Thu, 31 Oct 2002 06:49:10 -0800
From:      Cy Schubert - CITS Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
To:        Ying-Chieh Liao <ijliao@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        fcash@bigfoot.com, ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Changing port versions/names (end-of-life??)

In message <20021030005640.GA26220@terry.dragon2.net>, Ying-Chieh Liao
writes:

> --Dxnq1zWXvFF0Q93v
>
> On Tue, Oct 29, 2002 at 12:30:30 -0800, Freddie Cash wrote:
> > I'm the maintainer of the DansGuardian ports (www/dansguardian and www/dans
> guardian-devel).  Currently, these ports track the release (2.2.x) and stable
>  (2.4.x) series of DansGuardian.  2.2.x has been end-of-lifed (actually a few
>  months ago), and a new devel release has been made (2.5.x).
> > How does one move ports around?  For instance, I'd like to drop support for
>  2.2.x, move 2.4.x to www/dansguardian and start supporting 2.5.x via www/dan
> sguardian.  Is is as simple as submitting a PR with a patch to move www/dansg
> uardian from 2.2.x to 2.4.x, and another PR to move www/dansguardian-devel fr
> om 2.4.x to 2.5.x?  Or is there another mechanism?  Should I move the ports t
> o version-based names like www/dansguardian22 and www/dansguardian24 and keep
>  www/dansguardian-devel as the development port?
>
> I suggest :
>
> 1. repo-copy dansguardian-devel to dansguardian
> 2. update dansguardian to latest 2.4.x
> 3. repo-copy dansguardian to dansguardian-devel
> 4. update dansguardian-devel to latest 2.5.x
>
> or dansguardian22 vs. dansguardian24 vs. dansguardian-devel is another good i
> dea

Except that the "main" version, e.g. the one we consider to be used for
prime-time applications, be called dansguardian. For example, tripwire
is 2.3.1-2, while tripwire12 and tripwire13 track older versions.

--
Cheers,                          Phone:  250-387-8437
Cy Schubert                        Fax:  250-387-5231