Date:      Wed, 27 Jul 2016 15:14:49 -0700
From:      Kevin Oberman <rkoberman@gmail.com>
To:        Matthieu Volat <mazhe@alkumuna.eu>
Subject:   Re: Two questions for FreeBSD 11: libgcc & pkg

On Wed, Jul 27, 2016 at 10:42 AM, Matthieu Volat <mazhe@alkumuna.eu> wrote:

> Hi, if somebody would be kind enough to educate me, I've two small
> questions about the 11 release.
>

> First, https://wiki.freebsd.org/WhatsNew/FreeBSD11 mention that libgcc
> was replaced by libcompiler_rt, yet after the freebsd-update
> upgrade/install/install/portmaster -af/install routine, I still have a
> (recently updated) libgcc:
>
>   # ls -l /lib/libgcc_s.so.1
>   -r--r--r--  1 root  wheel  56608 Jul 26 14:13 /lib/libgcc_s.so.1
>
> Is it normal?

I think so, but I am not sure. Is libcompiler_rt found? It seems likely the
old library is retrained for existing images linked to it while
libcompiler_rt is now used when new images are linked. (N.B. This is a
guess, though.)

> Second question is about the talks that the base system would be
> pkg-ized (https://wiki.freebsd.org/PkgBase). Do base pkgs share the same
> pkg database as ports pkgs? Can I now damage base installation with bad pkg
> usage?

I don't have the message handy, but several issues popped up that forced
the delay if the packaging of teh base system until at least 11.1. You can
probably look in the current@ archive to find the note.

E-mail: rkoberman@gmail.com