Date:      Wed, 14 Mar 2001 14:53:50 -0800
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@urx.com>
To:        John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 4.2-R installer bombs because I can't turn UDMA off...

John-Mark Gurney wrote:

> Kent Stewart scribbled this message on Mar 14:
> > John-Mark Gurney wrote:
> > >
> > > Well, I'm looking for a way to turn off UDMA under 4.2-R.  I have a
> > > PA-2007 motherboard, and if I have UDMA enabled on the IDE controler,
>
> FICA ^  (it's using a VIA VT82C586A south brige chip)
>
> > > the system has problems.  With pre-4.x systems, this wasn't a problem,
> > > but I do not see any documentation on how to turn off UDMA in 4.2-R.
> >
> > What kind of HD's do you have. Both Western Digital and Maxtor have
> > programs that will setup their HD's up to only work at lower rates.
>
> It's a seagate..
>
> > Once you get 4.2 installed, you can add a sysctl for hw.atamodes and
> > set them to pio mode in /etc/sysctl.con. The Promise Ultra 66
> > controller pci card also works on my system with a similar problem.
>
> but how do I know that when booting (between the time the kernel starts
> init and /etc/sysctl.con gets read) that I won't get corrupted data??
> This needs to be done at the kernel initalization time, and NO later...
> you can't risk having a boot fail.. what happens if the machine drops
> to shell because of a bad reading durning fsck??

If you are using a 80-wire cable, you can try using an old 40-wire to
force UDMA-33. If things like buildworld work, you are probably
were after SOS to load the kernel and etc in PIO mode and then switch
to dma. I don't know what the status is on that. You can also try
using a Promise Ultra66 or Ultra100 pci card. It will probably work
with the drive just fine. If it doesn't, trash the drive or sell it to
someone that it won't matter to. It isn't going to get better with
time. FWIW, I have a new AMD 900 on a KT7 mb that has a Promise card
installed in it.

BTW, I just noticed that I have a typo in the file name. It is
sysctl.conf. I dropped the "f" when I typed my first response.

Kent

--
Kent Stewart
Richland, WA