Date:      Sun, 21 Mar 2004 11:06:40 +0100 (CET)
From:      Olaf Hoyer <ohoyer@ohoyer.de>
To:        Dave <lists-freebsd@hawk-systems.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Dell 2650 config for FreeBSD 4.9

On Sat, 20 Mar 2004, Dave wrote:

> We are in the position to have to replace an intel ISP1100 which has
> been running as our primary server for some time. As a potential
> replacement we are looking at a Dell 2650 dual processor raid5 server,
> specs below.   Up until now, the ISP1100 with a P3 800 and 1GB of PC100
> RAM has been handling the load like a fine workhorse, but anything
> purhcased now is well beyond those specs.  Does anyone have any first
> hand experiences, caveats, warnings, or commendations for this server if
> it is to use FreeBSD 4.9 as a dns/radius/website with extensive
> PostgreSQL database usage.

Well, have had some 2650 under my fingertips for deployment, but due to
specs from the projects, no one of them actually runs BSD in production.
Some short tests revolved no problems with a 4.9, RAID working fine, but
not tested on really high loads.

The only problem I ran into ist the mechanical mounting of that box in a
standard Rack.
Dell (at least in Europe) uses 4-post Racks, with square holes.
The rails only have some length adjustment of less then 2 inch, so when
the distance of the front and rear posts is too far apart, or too close
together, then it won't fit.

The VersaRails are used for mounting in Racks with round holes, and have
similar limitations. On their Website Dell have some diagram with exact
measurements for VersaRails, check this out before ordering.

To make the whole stuff more bizarre, I asked Dell what the
front/rear-distance of their own (mostly OEM-relabelled Racks like
Rittal with fixed posts) is, no answer yet. Also some rails from a 2550
fitted in one rack, but the rails of a 1750 (the new 1Ubox) were 2 mm
short :-((

Another try would be the new Intel or relabelled Sun boxes, like the
V65x from Sun, also verry nice hardware inside...

Well, apart from mounting (check your racks!) I see no disadvantage...

HTH
Olaf

--
Olaf Hoyer        ohoyer@gaff.hhhr.ision.net
Fuerchterliche Erlebniss geben zu raten,