Date:      Thu, 27 Dec 2012 02:33:00 -0800
From:      Garrett Cooper <yanegomi@gmail.com>
To:        Chris Rees <utisoft@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, Wojciech Puchar <wojtek@wojtek.tensor.gdynia.pl>
Subject:   Re: cvs deprecated

On Thu, Dec 27, 2012 at 2:30 AM, Chris Rees <utisoft@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 27 Dec 2012 09:47, "Garrett Cooper" <yanegomi@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Dec 27, 2012 at 1:18 AM, Wojciech Puchar
>> <wojtek@wojtek.tensor.gdynia.pl> wrote:
>> > but i can't find "moron guide" for using svn to update tree.
>> >
>> > I never used cvs or svn myself just want to
>> >
>> > 1) get latest FreeBSD 9-* sources
>> > 2) get latest HEAD sources.
>>
>> 1. Checkout the sources:
>>
>> cd /usr/src # Change to something else if you don't want to checkout
>> to /usr/src.
>> svn co http://svn.freebsd.org/base/stable/9 . # stable/9
>> svn co http://svn.freebsd.org/base/head . # CURRENT
>
> I recall a cluster administrator advising use of svn protocol rather than
> http.  Something to do with overheads.

    Yes, you're right. http opens a connection per-file, which is
horrendous with server load and is very slow as HTTP isn't optimized
for this purpose (and the current defacto HTTP library used with svn
isn't the most performant thing in the world). Unfortunately some
groups filter svn:// traffic though (like my employer), so I'm stuck
with http:// URIs for now (hence, the force of habit).
Thanks,
-Garrett