Date:      Fri, 27 Sep 2002 18:08:52 +0300
From:      Petri Riihikallio <Petri.Riihikallio@Metis.fi>
To:        Kirk Strauser <kirk@strauser.com>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How to shut down cleanly by killing power

>I don't *think* that any of those daemons would be harmed by unmounting the
>drives.  After all, you can 'kill -9' them without any permanent bad
>effects.

kern_shutdown.c kills all processes with signals, flushes and syncs
disks etc. It just seems silly to try to duplicate a kernel function
with a shell script. Reinventing the wheel with inferior tools, isn't
it?

>I would think so.  Other people have mentioned the 'shutdown -p' command;
>does it do what you need?

No. It just powers down the system. You need a power-cycle to
activate BIOS autoboot. If the UPS is still supplying its last drops
of power when the AC power returns, there won't be any power-cycle
and therefore no autoboot either.
--
Cheers,
Petri