Date:      Sun, 28 Mar 1999 20:31:35 -0800
From:      gummibear@we.mediaone.net
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   IP Forwarding and NAT Help Needed

Hey all.

Here's the story.

With the addition of one more computer I now have ine Windows box, one
FreeBSD box, one cable modem, and two people fighting over internet use.

Well, the FreeBSD box now has 2 network cards: ed0 and ed1.

My ISP would probably like me to use a DHCP client, but with FreeBSD I've
had just statically set the IP address and Gateway information.  That
method had worked great, although I guess I can try using a DHCP client.

Here's a diagram of how I tried to set it up.

Win95			FreeBSD		Internet
  |---------------------|------------------->
10.0.0.2		10.0.0.1 ed0
			24.130.60.137 ed1
			255.255.252.0 netmask
			24.130.60.1   gateway (ISP side)

I read the NAT man page and followed the instructions at the bottom.  I
rebuilt a kernel with IPFIREWALL and IPDIVERT and pretty much did
everything else mentioned in the man page.  But nothing worked.  When
trying to ping out, I got "permissioned denied".  I could ping the win95
machine and the win95 machine could ping the FBSD machine but that was it.
No internet.  I'm not sure what I could be missing.

I'm not sure what else to say.  I've been working on this pretty much all
day and I'm sort of burnt out.  I'm not sure if I have to do some thing
with routing.  How does FreeBSD know to send packets coming from one
network card and out the other?  Howcome I get permissioned denied when I
try to ping out on the internet?  Why the hell do I need a firewall?  I
never had one before.

Well, sort of getting tired.  Need food, need beer, need rest.  Then I'll
try and attack this again.

Any help, or info would work.  Just to let you know.  I've read the manpage
for NAT, read "Complete FreeBSD", and FreeBSD Diary and still haven't
worked things out.

TIA,

Joey "Dazed and Confused" Garcia