Date:      Mon, 13 Oct 1997 17:15:55 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Brian Mitchell <brian@firehouse.net>
To:        Christopher Petrilli <petrilli@amber.org>
Cc:        Colman Reilly <careilly@monoid.cs.tcd.ie>, Douglas Carmichael <dcarmich@mcs.com>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: C2 Trusted FreeBSD?

On Mon, 13 Oct 1997, Christopher Petrilli wrote:

> >I'm fairly certain acl is _not_ a requirement in the dcl segment of c2.
> >acl is, after all, just another form of group control at its very base.
>
> It is not "mandatory," however the following paragraph exerpted from the
> TCSEC does make it clear that the exisintg group mechanism is NOT
> acceptable:
>
>      "The access controls shall be capable of including or excluding
> access
>       to the granulairty of a single user."
>
> This exclusion part is what makes it very difficult.  You must be capable
> of giving access to everyone BUT a specific user.  While theoretically I
> guess you could do it by managing billions of sepereate groups, I think
> it would fail none the less because of practical enforcement concerns.

no, it isnt. make a group, put users that cant access it in the group,
chmod g-rwx file

bang, groups are perfectly able of supporting the needed dac

> THat having been said, there is one other requirement that would need to
> be addressed:
>
>      * Object Reuse (2.2.1.2)
>
> THis is defined as follows:
>
> "All authorizations to the information contained iwthin a storage object
> shall be revoked prior to initial assignment, allocation or reallocation
> to a subject from the TCB's pool of unused storage objects. No
> information, including encrypted representations of information, produced
> by a prior subject's actions is to be available to any subject that
> obtains access to an object that has been released back to the system."
>
> Basically, we need to purge all memor when it is allocated, or
> deallocated.

yah, when we release something back into a system, we have to bzero() the
contents, or something similar.

> Other than that, it's mostly documentation, and audit.  I would really
> prefer to do an ACL extension to the file system, as I think it's useful
> as it is :-)

I think it is useful as well, I just dont think it is a c2 requirement.