Date:      Sat, 29 May 1999 16:20:16 -0500 (EST)
From:      "John S. Dyson" <dyson@iquest.net>
To:        dillon@apollo.backplane.com (Matthew Dillon)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Possible race in pipe device driver, esp on multi-cpu machines.

Matthew Dillon said:

>     We are attempting to reproduce the problem with a smaller dataset, but
>     if anyone is hot on the pipe code in the kernel and can give it a once-over
>     we may be able to find the bug more quickly.

After a quick code inspection (and I really don't remember the details
much anymore), it seems that there is a possibility for parts of  the
state of a pipe to be grabbed before certain locking operations (e.g. pipelock),
and that state might change.  This could be worse in a multi-writer or
multi-reader situation.  Just a hint.
dyson@iquest.net      | it makes one look stupid