Date:      Fri, 30 Apr 2004 09:22:42 -0500
From:      "Andrew L. Gould" <algould@datawok.com>
To:        "Christopher Bahn" <bahn@wz-berlin.de>
Cc:        FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: X-Server

"Christopher Bahn" <bahn@wz-berlin.de> wrote:
>  Dear Geeks,
>
> I wanted to config my x-server, but I have not any specification for my
> video-Card and monitor (because my computer is very old and second-hand). Is
> there anything I can do?
>
> Thank you for your advise!
>
> Kind regards
>
> Christopher Bahn (Diplom-Volkswirt)

XFree86 can probe for video card information.  Instructions can be found in the FreeBSD handbook at:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/x-config.html

As for the monitor, if searching for the brand name and model via google fails, try starting with some fairly conservative settings:

depth = 8 or 16
modes = 800x600
horizontal sync = 31.5-69
vertical refresh = 50-90

Also, if a version of Windows is on the computer, you can find monitor and video card information by digging through Display and System in the Control Panel.

Best of luck,

Andrew Gould